Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Design a Textile


In the concept development process of my depot design I had the opportunity to design my own textile. My inspiration image came from a picture I took while I was at the Pullman depot for the first time.  The contrast and asymmetry between the building and train car grabbed my attention.  I pulled many elements and principles of design from this image and used those form givers to create abstract modules.  The modules show contrast in texture, line, shape, and color.  From my final partis I narrowed it down to two final modules and then developed several different patterns and colors schemes to use for my textile. My final module for the textile is asymmetrical and is influenced by line and contrasting colors. On the textile it creates a interesting geometric pattern.  The pattern works well with a variety of color schemes.  It was hard to chose what colors to use in my final textile. One thing I am still examining is the scale of my module on the final textile.  I have it repeated at 2"x2" squares but I am working if the scale will look better smaller or if it will result in a design that is too busy for the eye.  Overall, this process was fun and interesting, especially being able to order it online and have the actual textile to show.  It turned out very well on the fabric I chose.  The colors are very vibrant and fitting to the original inspiration image Also, I plan on using this module in my final depot design in some form. I am currently imagining it with a neutral color scheme on 3 from as a divider.