Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Uniontown Habitat Project




Working on the Habitat house was a unique experience that I enjoyed a lot.  Last year I worked on a habitat house but it was in the final prep stages like making sure the walls and doors were painted and other small prep items.  In the Uniontown house I had the opposite experience.  Our day consisted of putting insulation in the walls, cleaning, and making sure all the floors were level and tacked down.  Bob and the man in charge of the project stressed the importance of making sure the particle board was smooth and there were no edges sticking up.  At the time I did not realize the importance but simply followed my instructions, crawling around the floor making sure no nail heads were poking up.  Once we studied light frame construction and particle board as a substrate in class I realized how important it is that it is a smooth surface because it could easily affect the insulation of the flooring surface and make it uneven.  As for the insulation, this process was interesting because they were doing walls that were double thick which will help create a home that is well insulated and energy efficient during all seasons of the year.  I found the work we did to be every educational and it helped me connect what we were learning in the classroom directly with an outside source in our everyday lives.  The experience was not only a learning experience but it felt good to provide a helping hand for the family receiving the house from habitat for humanity.