Friday, January 4, 2013

Chicago Study Tour

 In October 2012, I had the chance to explore Chicago with my peers from the new School of Design and Construction at Washington State University.  The study tour lasted a week and we explored the famous architecture of the city and presented our findings to one another. On this trip, there were 60 students from the disciplines of architecture, interior design, and landscape architecture.The city fascinated me and I quickly fell in love with the "Paris of the Plains". That was a phrase one of my professors used to describe the city and it stuck with me. One of my favorite spots we visited on the trip was just outside Chicago, the Farnsworth house.  It was a beautiful fall day and the white steel and glass structure stood out with the radiant colors of the season.  It was amazing to see such a brilliant building designed by the Famous Mies Van Der Rohe. The composition and line of the exterior work so well with the complex, interlocking interior.  The design features and thought that went into the creation of the Farnsworth house blew me away. Additionally, our group had the chance to visit the Design Mart and a firm while we were there. It was very insightful to see how the industry works in a setting outside Pullman or Seattle. I feel as though it is all coming together!

The Rookery
Farnsworth House
Myself with the famous "bean"
A Frank Lloyd Wright home in Oak Park.
Our group gathered in front of the "bean" at Millennium Park.